For *those that have just lost their keys *those that are well-versed *inebriated ones *wanderers *mermaids *those that belong elsewhere *whippersnappers *marvelous ones *those that are not included in this classification *those that flutter because the moment is fleeting *boundless ones *those colored with slippery fingerpaint *others *those that resemble someone I know from a distance

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Holy fuck, it's really happening...

I got my first 30th birthday card today. I actually cringed when I saw it. A real, true-life cringe, as if I was reacting to some documentary on genocide in which they were showing piles of children's skulls. But there were no skulls, just a silly card with "Happy 30th!" on the cover. I always thought I would be one of those people who would grow old gracefully, welcoming each new decade calmly, growing wiser and more satisfied with age. But it turns out I'm a brooding, lily-livered (which sounds interesting, but, as we know from the cartons, isn't) pathetic, little whiner.

Also, the cake my mom baked for me? For my 30th birthday? Completely burnt. Prophetic, eh?

Labels: ,